Slide-based assays, whether tissue sections or cellular samples, are crucial tools to pathology, research, and diagnostics. Traditionally, staining slides was a manual, labor-intensive process. Hence, automation became increasingly vital in slide-based assays as it ensures consistency while increasing throughput. Automation in the laboratory setting has paved way for more efficient and consistent staining techniques. In this blog, we explore automated staining for slide-based assays and introduce NanoVIP®, an All-in-One fully automated slide staining system along with its technologies (Figure 1).
Fig 1: NanoVIP® by Omicsveu
Omicsveu, a leader in multiplexing multiomics spatial biology solutions, designed an automated tissue staining system as a solution to the challenges faced by manual staining protocols. NanoVIP® is a state-of-the-art, fully automated platform designed to simplify and accelerate the staining assay. Developed by a team of experts in molecular biology and automation, this innovative system offers a range of benefits including:
- Automation by Innovative Plug & Play Systems: NanoVIP® automates the entire staining workflow. This reduces the risk of human error and ensures consistency in results across different operators and laboratories.
- Increased Throughput and Versatility: With its high throughput capabilities, NanoVIP® can process multiple samples simultaneously, significantly reducing the time required. This makes NanoVIP® an invaluable tool for high-volume laboratories and diagnostic facilities.
- Enhanced Accuracy and Reproducibility: By eliminating manual steps, NanoVIP® enhances the accuracy and reproducibility of any assay. Researchers and clinicians can have greater confidence in their results, leading to more reliable diagnoses and research findings.
- Efficient and User-Friendly Interface: The platform features a user-friendly interface that allows both novice and experienced users to operate it with ease. This accessibility promotes widespread adoption of the technology.
- Customization: NanoVIP® is highly customizable, allowing researchers to tailor the protocols to their specific needs. NanoVIP® can accommodate various probe types, sample sizes, and experimental parameters.
Ancillary Supplies and Consumables: NanoVIP® comes with a comprehensive suite of ancillary supplies and consumables including antigen retrieval solutions, enzymes for tissue digestion, dewaxing reagents, mounting media, vials, pipette tips, slides, coverslips, and pap pens.
The NanoVIP® system offers a broad range of spatial multiplex multiomics solutions consisting of a fully automated staining system, ready-to-use mRNA (RNAveu) and miRNA (miRveu) probes, multiplexing antibodies, visualization kits, and consumables for spatial biology. This system includes EZ-AR elegance line of All-in-one de-wax, rehydration, and universal retrieval solution for all proteins and nucleic acids. NanoVIP®, All-in-One fully automated system from microtome to slides ready for imaging using fluorescent microscopy and or imaging mass cytometry. NanoVIP® features include:
- Automatic cover slipping microchamber - microchamber reduces total reaction volumes.
- Precision temperature - Peltier technology ensures accurate temperature maintenance on each slide position.
- Independent workstations – individual protocols for each slide workstation.
- 24 reagent vials – design of the reagent vial minimizes dead volume.
- Precision pipetting - dispenses and maintains accurate volume.
Eco-friendly - complete xylene-free system and generates low volume waste from washes.
Automated Processes Empowered by NanoVIP®
NanoVIP® automates the various spatial biology techniques to provide a comprehensive view of proteins, mRNA, DNA, and miRNA at cellular levels. Protocols can be customized leading to automation of time-consuming steps for sample preparation & assay. Techniques include:
- Genotyping & Phenotyping: Transcription and Translation in One
- In situ Sequencing
- ImmunoPlex (multiplexing IF)
- Genotyping & Phenotyping: Transcription & Translation in One
This technology enables co-localization of protein, mRNA, and miRNA in the same tissue sections to provide valuable insights into cellular processes.
- RNAveu – This technology enables co-localization of multiple transcriptome targets, stripping followed by subsequent rounds of RNAveu cycles for scoring.
- miRveu – miRNA probes portfolio spans over 220 unique miRNA probes which are designed specifically for identifying cancer of unknown primary, staging and grading cancers, and characterization of poorly differentiated tumors.
- In situ Sequencing (ISS) – This technology enables detection and spatial mapping of nucleic acid sequences within the tissue, allowing researchers a unique perspective on gene expression within spatial context.
Immunoplex (Multiplexing Immunoflorescence – mIF) – It is a multiplexing immunofluorescence (IF) technique that allows simultaneous localization of multiple protein biomarkers.
The future of slide-based staining assays is undoubtedly leaning towards automation, and systems such as NanoVIP® are leading the charge. By offering end-to-end automation, intense, clean, crisp, clear and consistent staining, and compatibility with advanced analysis tools, the NanoVIP® system represents a significant step forward in the field. For laboratories looking to enhance efficiency, reproducibility, and quality, embracing such automated systems is the way forward.